19 January 2012

Of Bruises and Kisses

The most enchanting personal discovery I have made as a parent:  Kisses from Mama and Daddy really do help small ones deal with bumps and bruises.  I have spent nearly 4 years kissing boo-boos, and it makes my heart melt each time a formerly crying boy runs off to play after such a simple act.  This has become such a habit that I have even felt compelled to kiss my own cuts and bruises.

When the boys hurt each other, accidentally or otherwise, we try to coach them to ask, "What do you need?  Do you need hugs or kisses?"  When the tension is at a level where the question is successful, it is enough to elicit a smile.  Seeing them hug and kiss each other when they are both still learning about coordination is entertaining, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment